Table of Contents
Sun-kissed vacation on Nha Trang Beach
With its beautiful landscape and climate, the Nha Trang bay is ranked number twenty-nine (29) of the most beautiful bays in the world. Being the capital city of Kanhn Hoa province, Nha Trang beach is located on the southern coast of Vietnam.
The bustling coastal town of Nha Trang also known by many as the Riviera of the South China Sea is surrounded by hills and a tropical island bay, where the sun shines for more days per year than any other place in Vietnam.
Tran Phu, the towns main beach which stretches up to seven kilometers of beautiful golden sand bordering clear waters, beautiful palm trees, amazing restaurants and beachside bars, superb scuba diving, an abundance of marine life and reefs among many other attractions.
It is truly heaven for vacationers. Some sections of the beach are reserved for safe swimming, away from boats and jet skis.
The best time to be on the beach is usually before 1 pm as this is when the weather is at its best.
In the early hours of the day, locals can be seen on the beach watching the sunrise, running around with kids playing in the sands, or meditating. It is peaceful yet loud at the same time.
Nha Trang was not always a place bustling with activities, way back during the Chamempire when it was discovered, it was once a small fishing village but now a leading tourist destination offering a wide range of sightseeing and recreational activities for everyone to enjoy.
Structures dating back to the Champa Kingdom such as Buddhist temples, Gothic Catholic Churches, waterfalls, salt feeds and even natural Springs are all sights to behold.
Weather conditions in Nha Trang
Nha Trang bay is blessed with all year round superb calm and warm waters. The town’s weather is usually warm and humid during the first eight months of the year. This is why it is usually a top location for vacations in the sun and beach time.
Nha Trang has two distinct seasons, the monsoon period and the dry period.
- The monsoon period is from September through December
- While the dry period is from January up until August.
The town generally enjoys a moderate temperature throughout the year. Usually, we should expect an average low of 18 degrees Celcius and 30 degrees Celcius.
Summer in this city starts from May until August and there is usually little to no rainfall with the hottest months of the year being July and August.
So if you would prefer to avoid the scorching sun, it is best to plan your holiday before the end of June.
- However, if you are in town during summer, you should try to pay a visit to the Hon Ba Nature reserve located less than two hours away from Nha Trang city.
- The mountain which stands at 1,578 meters above sea level has a very cool climate all year round making it a perfect place to escape the summer heat.
- The peak diving season in Nha Trang is between January and October when rainfall is at its lowest.
- During the rainy season in Nha Trang, heavy rainfall can lead to violent thunderstorms and typhoons.
Accommodation in Nha Trang
There are a lot of hotels and resorts in the coastal city ranging from Hassle-free, easy stay hotels to world-class hotels and villas with breathtaking views, classy restaurants, and five-star treatment.
The most booked hotels in Nha Trang according to ratings are:
- Amiana Resorts and villas Nha Trang: Rated 4.6 out of five stars, this is a top hotel located by the sea, 10 minutes away from the Po Nagar Cham towers and Dam Market. It has amenities such as a car service/limo service, conference center and a business center. The price for booking this hotel costs about 254 USD.
- Intercontinental Nha Trang: located on the Tran Phu Beach, intercontinental has facilities measuring 127995 square feet. Also rated 4.6 out of five stars, this hotel is within a 10-minute walk of Nha Trang Night Market and Tram Huong Tower.
- Tuyet Mai Hotel: this hotel has a convenient location in the center of Nha Trang. It is near the night market and entertainment clubs and about two minutes’ walk from the beach. It is an excellent place to stay.
- Sheraton Nha Trang: Sheraton hotel and spa is a great place to stay while in Nha Trang, it is situated right on the beachfront. The Sheraton has 280 rooms in six different types of accommodation either rooms, suites, penthouses, and apartments to suit the style of any customer. This Hotel can be booked for about 121 USD.
- Novotel Nha Trang: this luxury hotel located about 40 minutes away from the Cam Ranh Airport in Nha Trang. It is located in the heart of the town and is a perfect location for adventure-seeking visitors. A short walk away from the beach, and also near the Po Nagar Cham Temple, Nha Trang Museum and Tri Nguyen Aquarium. It houses 154 rooms and a four (4) star rating. The rooms are homey with open designs, floor to ceiling windows and local artwork displays.
- Evason Ana Mandara: This is a superb five-star hotel located along the southern end of Nha Trang Bay. The resort is known to hold up to 74 rooms and it is built with traditional and also contemporary Vietnamese architectural styles. The suites in this hotel are of five main types namely, the Garden View suites, the Superior Sea View suites, the Deluxe Sea View suites, the Deluxe Beach Front view suites, and Beachfront Ana Mandara Suites.
- Asia Paradise Hotel: Asia Paradise Hotel has been rated as one of the top 3 best three-star hotels in Nha Trang. They offer their guests the convenience of personalized services of a 4-star hotel at a very affordable price. This hotel’s chic and modern decor will have you in awe and will impress any traveler. They have a variety of high standard rooms to accommodate any type of guests that the hotel might have, be it business meeting guests or vacationers. It is located in the city center aiming at many other tourist attraction sites. The best part is that it is just a few meters away from the beautiful beach of Nha Trang.
- Sunrise Nha Trang Beach Hotel and Spa: This hotelier does not only have a name that sounds welcoming to everyone on a holiday, but it is also built in a stylish and colonial style in the northern part of Nha Trang. This Vintage architecture makes the hotel an easy pick for people who are on vacations or honeymoon. It is also a very good choice for tourists in search of high-end accommodation. With 120 rooms to offer, this beauty to behold is found overlooking the Nha Trang Bay.
Worthwhile Shopping in Nha Trang
Shopping in Nha Trang is more relaxed in a local atmosphere. Street markets such as Vinh Luong and Dam are great for experiencing a great culture.
There are also shops along the beach that offers you great artwork and beautiful clothing for souvenirs.
Although this town is not particularly best known as a shopping destination, there are still a few places to have a good buy and to immerse yourself in the local culture.
- Dam Market: this is the most popular market in Nha Trang. It is built as a huge four-story structure made of concrete. Everything Vietnamese can be found in this market from their wide range of fashionable clothes, colorful accessories, electronics, souvenirs, dry food, household goods, and items, etc, all dispersed in this market on colorful stalls. It also houses a beautiful food court for hungry shoppers.
- Vinh Luong market: Vinh Luong market located near Nha Trang port offers visitors a great shopping experience. It is located twenty minutes away from the city center. It is always found full of shoppers buying all sorts of foodstuff ( seafood, meat, vegetables, etc) and household supplies. A variety of local snacks are also sold here, such as papaya salads, spring rolls, and pancakes. Items from this market are much cheaper compared to the other ones from the city center market. It is open from 04:00 am to 06:00 pm.
- Nha Trang center: this shopping mall is the first of its kind in Nha Trang. In it, we can find boutiques, entertainment centers, cinemas, restaurants, and cafes. It’s a great place to shop especially if you do not want the rowdiness of the market or if you are looking for top-notch labels such as Calvin Klein, Nike, Adidas, etc or if you are shopping for fancy dresses and jewelry. It also has a rooftop pool lounge where you chill after a hectic day shopping in the mall. You could also head to the movies and enjoy watching your favorite movies.
- Night Market: as with most Vietnamese cities, Nha Trang also has a night market which is not only perfect for shopping but because it gives you an insight into the local culture. The market is separated into four main zones; the walking street and night market and Yakasa 9 market on Tran Phu street, the Nha Trang market on Tue Tinh street and Tran Quang Khai street, and Tropicana shopping in Hai Yen hotel. The walking street and Yakasa 9 markets are always the busiest night markets seen crawling around with visitors and locals alike at night. The market usually opens at about 7 pm every evening and stays open till midnight. You can buy souvenirs, street food, clothes, artwork and many other things in the market.
Architecture in Nha Trang
The architecture in Nha Trang is truly breathtaking. There are so many different types, designs, materials used in building the beautiful town.
- Thap Po Nagar: built between the seventh (7th) and twelfth (12th) centuries, they are still some of the best-preserved pieces of cham architecture. The temple is dedicated to the country’s goddess Yan Po Nagar and is still being used by local descendants of the Cham culture that was once upon a time quite widespread across the country. The Cham people are of Hindi origins and.l are known for their skills in sculpture and architecture. The temple has an entrance fee of twenty-two thousand Vietnamese Dong 22000 which equals about ($0.97). The temple is found on Mount Cu Lau with views overlooking the Cai River. Originally up to ten buildings were dedicated to the worship of these Hindu gods, but over time they got destroyed. Only the four remaining towers which were built in honor of Po Nagar including this one are left. The others are Cri Cambi, San haka, and Ganeca. They are all still being used as places of worship to date. The Po Nagar Cham towers sometimes get really rowdy especially when it is time for the annual Thap ba festival, which is usually around the end of the month of April and the beginning of the month of May. Remains of the Cham peoples artifacts are still found not only in Vietnam but in Cambodia and Thailand too.
- Nha Trang Cathedral: another religious monument still in use but also serving as a tourist attraction. Mass in this elegantly built cathedral is held several times a day. The cathedral is located on top of a hill overlooking the train station in Nha Trang.
- White Buddha Monument: Seated on a hilltop in Nha Trang is an enormous white Buddha on a lotus bloom. This monument is so large that it is seen from all over the city. Around the base of the statue, busts of Thich Quang Duc alongside six other Buddhist monks can be seen. These monks who died in self-immolation in 1963, did so in protest against the repression of Buddhists by the South Vietnamese Government. The platform around the Buddha statue gives a great view of the city.
- Long son Pagoda: the roof and entrance of this pagoda built since the 19th century are decorated with glass and ceramic tile mosaic dragons. Beggars are usually found in congregations within this complex. The pagoda is located at four hundred meters west of the train station close to the Buddha statue.
Nightlife in Nha Trang
Nha Trang has the best nightlife you can imagine, it is a true party town with a great location to pull it off. This town can really keep you busy for days at a stretch with its vibrant entertainment scene.
- Nha Trang Sailing Club: The sailing club has it all. From delicious food to amazing drinks, a breathtaking beach view which makes it the ultimate relaxation and party destination. During the day, tourists relax and enjoy drinks while at night, the venue becomes the best nightclub to party away by the ocean.
- Skylight rooftop Beach Club: Skylights 360 degrees rooftop beach club is the first of its kind in this city. It allows its guests to have an experience of a lifetime viewing the beach and the city from unparalleled heights with a 360-degree view of the bay, city and mountain regions. It’s perfect for a skylight selfie. The rooftop beach club features handcrafted spectacular drinks, ice-cold beer, and Asian cuisine. After sunset, it’s time for international DJs and lives acts to entertain world-class style.
Places to visit while in Nha Trang
If you are more up for relaxation activities such as mud baths, spa treatments, or river cruises, you’re in the right place.
For the sightseeing experts, nature lovers or the adventurous lot, you are home!
- The Mud Baths: Nha Trang is known for its mineral-rich clay with therapeutic benefits, moisturizing and skin healing benefits which is also said to increase circulation. It is truly one of the highlights of coming to Nha Trang. After soaking up in this mud goodness, you can opt to take a shower in the cool waterfalls. And then maybe finish off with a dip in the amazing mineral pools. The most popular mud bath can be found in the i-Resort.
- Waterfalls: About 17 miles (approximately 27 kilometers)north of Nha Trang, accessible via a beautiful coastal ride is the Ba Ho Waterfalls. Ba Ho translates to three pools. Perfect for dipping in because it barely ever gets too crowded. To get to Ba Ho Waterfalls you have to embark on a twenty-seven-kilometer long drive along the north coast and then a twenty-five minutes long hike using tree vines as hand and footholds. This will lead you to three different stages of the waterfalls, hence the name Ba Ho.
- Mineral baths: the natural hot mineral baths came into existence in the 21st century and has since then been enjoyed by many visitors and locals. The inorganic mineral deposits in the town led to the discovery that the mineral water and mud baths are good for human health. Famous places to have mineral baths in Nha Trang are Thab Ba hot Springs center which was the first mud bath and mineral bath service in Nha Trang, I-Resort, 100 eggs mud bath which is the newest and most attractive mud and mineral baths located in the town m, and Galina mud bath.
- Massages and body wrap: How refreshing is a chocolate body wrap or a coffee massage after a long day of activities. You could also get herbal massages, saunas and many more. Nha Trang has that and even more to offer.
- Water parks: The coastal city also boasts of a huge water park with pools, fun slides, and thrilling water sports to try out.
- Bai Dai Beach: a subtle alternative to the big beach, this peaceful place with a more local feel is located about thirty kilometers away from the center of Nha Trang. It is a fantastic location for surfing and they have surfing pieces of equipment for rent on the beach. But if you are not up for surfing, you could just chill by the beach and relax.
- Jungle beach: the smallest and most secluded beach in the coastal town. The view of it is completely worth every minute of the two hours drive up the coast before you reach it. It has a Resort built entirely from Bamboo by the owner, for the owner. It’s a private resort, so you can not spend the night here. However, there is a restaurant with amazing food and drinks that can cater to you. And then you can swing the rest of the day away on a nice comfortable hammock. With mountains on one side and gentle waves swaying on the other side, it is the perfect place to get away from all the hustle and bustle. But as evening approaches you should head back to civilization.
- Bars and Pubs: the bars and pubs in Nha Trang mostly have their own little bit of beach too with reclining chairs and parasols to enable you to enjoy the evening comfortably.
- Tri Nguyen Aquarium: this is a beautiful yet playful aquarium shaped like a giant sailing ship showcasing the different kinds of fish and sea turtles. This unique architecture was completed in 1988 and it is situated on Bon Nguyen Island also referred to as Hon Mieu island on the Nha Trang Bay. From afar the aquarium looks like a ship covered by moss. It is 60 meters long and 30 meters wide and has three floors which also encompasses a souvenir shop and a restaurant. It is designed with thick glass covering its walls, with the marine life playing around the tourists. It is a great place for a family day out, for kids, for marine lovers and tourists.
Historical sites and Museums
Touring museums is a great way to spend part of a holiday, as it has the feeling of traveling into the past. Nha Trang has various historical sites and museums to
- Alexandre Yersin Museum: This museum is the former home of the bacteriologist that discovered the bubonic plague microbe and also founded the Pasteur Institute. It was founded in 1990 located on Tran Phu street it hosts extensive exhibits of his personal belongings and the laboratory equipment that he used. It also houses his original letters and his photograph collections from his travels around Vietnam. It is located 15 minutes’ walk away from the Nha Trang city center. Basically, it was built in his honor. He also founded the Pasteur institutes of Vietnam located in Nha Trang, Dalat and Ho Chi Minh City.
- The National Oceanographic Museum: Opened first in 1922, the National Oceanographic Museum can be found in an old French colonial building. Its visitors can explore the regions of marine life through displays, ancient artifacts, and fossils. The entire museum is spread over two floors making it an interesting place for visits and excursions for children.
- The Impressions museum: this can be better referred to as a 3D art gallery. It’s a great place for children to visit with its amazing illusionist paintings and installations where you can pose for awesome photos.
Mind-blowing food in Nha Trang
From Street side eateries, posh restaurants, hotels, and many more, there is no option of being hungry in Nha Trang with plenty of beachside cafes and restaurants too, there are a very vast dining options for everyone to choose from.
You can decide to opt for local food or international cuisines such as Mediterranean, French, Indian or American, catering to any budget level and food preference.
But since you are here it would be better to keep it local for the experience.
- Seafood feasts: being the seafood capital of Vietnam, the waters off the coasts of Khanh Hoa supply fresh fish and shellfish which are the main attractions of many opting for meals in Nha Trang.
- Bo Nuong Lac Canh Restaurant: in this Do it yourself style restaurant, you will be served raw ingredients that you will then cook your own meal to your preference over a table grill.
- Oc Xuan Anh restaurant: this restaurant is a favorite among locals and food experts. They serve delicious fresh seafood and noodles among other things.
Nha Trang islands
While in town, reserve a day to explore the islands just off the coast. Nha Trang has 19 untouched islands which are just a short boat ride away.
However, the most famous ones are Mieu Island, Mun Island, Tre Island, Yen Island, Tam Island and Monkey Island.
- Hon Mieu Island: it is located about 5kilometres southeast of Nha Trang and also know to be the best inshore island. The main attractions on the island are Nguyen Aquarium which is an outdoor fish lake and Tri Nguyen Fishing Village located around the Bai san beach on the other side of the island. The best way to enjoy this island is by going on an interesting boat trip around the island and enjoying the fresh seafood that it has.
- Hon Tre Island: the largest island in Nha Trang Bay, home to a five-star hotel called Sofitel Vinpearl Resort and Spa. the island has been connected to the mainland by a system of cable car since 2007 instead of ferries. The cable car takes tourists and visitors directly to the Vinpearl land, a large amusement park located on the island. Despite human disturbances, the Island still remains beautiful with the natural beaches, distinct flora, and a very good enjoyable climate. The island is truly a great tourist attraction.
- Hon Mun Island: Hon Mun Island situated on the south side of Nha Trang Bay. It was named Mun meaning Ebony after the high rise cliffs with caves. Hon MunI island is said to be home to a very large and diverse group of marine species. It is a very good place for oceanographers, tourists, and researchers to observe the life of sea creatures. Visitors to the island can also go scuba diving and enjoy the colorful coral and various sea creatures. Visibility on the island is also very excellent.
- Hon Tam Island: Hon Tam Island also referred to as silkworm island is a familiar name for Nha Trang tourists. It has a wild tropical forest and a Long Beach with clear waters. The island is covered bu ancient trees such as Tamarind, Bamboo, Almonds, Willows among others. It also has very colorful flowers such as sunflowers and daisies. It has a four-star hotel called the Hon Tam Hotel, which jas bungalow rooms and a restaurant. The island is great for sightseeing and tourism. It is truly a beauty to behold. However this island is not inhabited by humans, it is just visited by them. While here you can go for mountain climbing, parasailing, boating, jet skiing and windsurfing on the island.
- Hon Lao Island: Hon Lao Island is also known as monkey island and is a great destination for visitors to Nha Trang. It is a very large island that is home to about 1500 monkeys which is the actual reason why it is usually called monkey island. It has a beach with huts and chairs where you can sit comfortably and relax. It has beautiful gardens and shops but its main attraction is the colony of monkeys that it has which are free to roam around everywhere on the island. The monkeys are the main tourist attraction.
Popular lounging spots
- Sailing Club: the sailing club is a bar in Nha Trang, a beach club with bands and DJs that draws a lot of crowds especially for it’s famous Saturday night parties featuring fire dancers. During the week, it is usually known for its live band performances.
- Louisiane Brew House: A famous shorefront brewery in Nha Trang which has it all; a swimming pool and a full restaurant. You can spend the whole day here if there weren’t any other places to visit.
- High-end Resorts: Located on the most popular course in the city which is Tran Phu Street. The two famous resorts which are the Intercontinental and the Sheraton ate located on the other side of the beach. Talk about the perfect location.